Tuesday, October 04, 2011

WYOMING! Hey Wyoming!

Freshman year of college at the dormitory there was a hall manager called Dutch.  He was a very nice 60-ish gentleman who would always talk with me as we'd occasionally see each other in the halls.  His office was on the west side of Holmes, so I would generally holler a hello whenever I would walk by on my way to class.  Since undoubtedly he interacted with lots of students with similar names, he nicknamed me Wyoming and so anyone working around him would naturally never learn my given name, but likewise knew me as Wyoming.

Last week out in Lansing, I walked by a woman who waved and smiled and looked vaguely familiar.  I couldn't place her.  Today at the nursing home, low and beholds the same woman walks by with a visitor nametag and hollers "Wyoming!  Hey, Wyoming!  I knew it was you!"  Secretary Jeanette was often in Dutch's office a decade ago when I would stop in to say hello.  When it finally registered in my head, I greeted her with a hug.  She laughed and said, "So I never ever actually learned - what IS your name?"

Wyoming will do just fine.  :)

1 comment:

Burches in Britain said...

:) I love it!