Monday, September 28, 2009

ethiopian food

This weekend, after a successful completion of our neurology domain earlier in the week, my roomate Meridith and I took an evening off.  Mer's a huge fan of Ethiopian food and claims the restaurant in Ann Arbor has the best she's had in many places (NY, OR, TX, MI).  So I went not knowing what to expect, and was enthralled by Injera (the special dipping bread made from Teff).  It was so delicious and I was happily surprised to discover that there might be more great "firsts" out there for me to try than I had thought. [My list of firsts generally includes only travel destinations or animals to ride... but, food! What a delicious new category!]

After we went to a concert at the Michigan Theater, which is a beautiful gold-guilded, old-fashioned theater in the downtown area.  Beach House opened and had me swaying and tapping to their indie-style chillaxin music.  The main singer has a voice from another era, with its sultry depth and easy flow she was a perfect match for the calming instrumentals.  Here's a taste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I8t0bxS8HE&feature=player_embedded

Next Grizzly Bear played, and while their music is good, I didn't quite enjoy it as much.

But yeah, Ethiopian food - if you haven't tried it... you should!

No comments: