Monday, November 03, 2008

In God I trust

It seemed apt that yesterday in church we happened to read a short excerpt from Psalm 57. With elections coming up tomorrow and people worrying about so many problems in our country - I thought this was a good reminder of what we trust as Christians.

A lot of us are worried about the future of our country, the economy, our families, our jobs, etc. Some of us are just anxious about exams or maybe the health of a loved one. Yes, even Christians have restless nights of worry as different situations plague us. Yet, God knows all of our thoughts. He hears us when we struggle even to understand hardships in life and call out, "Lord, what about this? How will ___ work out? Will you take care of ____? What should I do about ____?"

Read below as He counts each of our tossings, and catches each teardrop. Such a God is He, that He cares even for our minute worries and sleepless nights. So we can say with confidence that in HIM we trust. Shouldn't our worries fall to the wayside in light of His provision and care for us? Regardless of who wins tomorrow, America's motto of "In God we trust" is not as significant as each of our own individual cries of "In God I trust!"

Ps 57:8-13
"You have kept count of my tossings;
put my tears in a bottle.
Are they not in your book?
Then my enemies will turn back
in the day when I call.
This I KNOW, that God is for me.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust
; I shall not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
I must perform my vows to you, O God;
I will render thank offerings to you.
For you have delivered my soul from death,
yes, my feet from falling,
that I maybe walk before God
in the light of life."

That said, I hope you all vote tomorrow... and importantly I hope that you all pray not just for the future president and the future of our country, but that you would pray that we would all learn to trust God more.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Amen, sista!